Take a Tour!
Get a behind-the-scenes look at the nation’s only primary nickel mine!
Mine and mill tours are FREE to the public and available from June through October. The complete 2017 tour schedule is found below.
For more information, or to sign up for a tour, call (906) 273-1550.
The Eagle Mine tour is primarily a driving surface tour of the mine site with a walking tour through the water treatment plant. The mine tour does not go underground. You will see where the ore is brought up from underground and where it is stored and loaded into the haul trucks. Other surface facilities include the storage area for development (or waste) rock, the back fill plant, truck repair shop and the water treatment plant. Visitors meet at the Information Center at 153 A West Washington Street in downtown Marquette, and bus transportation for the tour is provided. Downtown parking passes are provided upon request.
On the Humboldt Mill tour you will see what happens to the ore after it leaves the mine site. The mill tour is a walking tour, beginning at the administrative office. The tour follows the circuit of crushing, grinding and flotation processes, taking the ore from haul truck to rail car. Visitors should be prepared to spend about an hour walking on site, including up and down stairs and over metal grating. Transportation is not provided for the Humboldt Mill tour. Driving and parking directions are given at the time of registration.
Requirements and Rules
Consistent with Eagle Mine policies, and for your safety, please note the following rules.
These rules apply to tours at both the Humboldt Mill and Eagle Mine.
- Must be 13 years or older to participate. Those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Must wear long pants. No capris or shorts- no exceptions.
- Shoulders must be covered. T-shirts are acceptable. No tank tops.
- Must wear closed toe walking shoes/hiking boots. No sandals, clogs, heels, or “Mary Janes”. Shoes must have covered top and back.
- Must remove large jewelry/watches
- Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) will be provided: hard hat, safety glasses, high visibility vest, ear plugs.
- No alcohol, drugs, or firearms on site
- No photos or video equipment on site
- Mill-Participants must be able to climb several flights of stairs and steep inclines, walk on metal grating, and be able to tolerate strong odors.
- Mine- downtown parking passes are available upon request
- Eagle Mine is not responsible for any parking violations received during tour