Our 2018 Summer Public Tour Season has ended. Our tour season will resume June 2019. We will release our full tour schedule in Spring 2019. To be the first to know about our 2019 Summer Tour dates, please subscribe to our newsletter.
More about our tours:
We offer two different free tours that alternate every Friday from June - September:
- The Eagle Mine tour (3.5 hours) is primarily a driving surface tour of the mine site with a walking tour through the water treatment plant. The mine tour does not go underground. You will see where the ore is brought up from underground and where it is stored and loaded into the haul trucks. Other surface facilities include the storage area for development (or waste) rock, the backfill plant, truck repair shop and the water treatment plant. Visitors meet at the Information Center at 153 A West Washington Street in downtown Marquette, and bus transportation for the tour is provided.
- A note on parking: Downtown Marquette has new modern parking meters that feature smart technology, offering visitors convenient payment options including coins, credit and debit cards and flexible stay times ranging from one to three to ten-hour parking limits depending on location. For the mine tour, 10-hr parking is suggested. There are several 10-hour metered parking spots, which can be located on the following parking map (the location of our Eagle Mine Information Center is indicated by the yellow square). The parking rate is 50 cents per hour. We suggest paying for a minimum of 4 hours of parking. Eagle Mine is not responsible for any parking violations incurred during the tour.
- On the Humboldt Mill tour (2 hours) you will see what happens to the ore after it leaves the mine site. The mill tour is a walking tour, beginning at the administrative office. The tour follows the circuit of crushing, grinding and flotation processes, taking the ore from haul truck to rail car. Visitors should be prepared to spend about an hour walking on site, including up and down stairs and over metal grating. Transportation is not provided for the Humboldt Mill tour. Driving and parking directions are given at the time of registration.
Requirements and Rules
Consistent with Eagle Mine policies, and for your safety, please note the following rules.
These rules apply to tours at both the Humboldt Mill and Eagle Mine.
- Must be 13 years or older to participate. Those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Must wear long pants. No capris or shorts- no exceptions.
- Shoulders must be covered. T-shirts are acceptable. No tank tops.
- Must wear closed-toe walking shoes/hiking boots. No sandals, clogs, heels, or “Mary Janes”. Shoes must have covered top and back.
- Must remove large jewelry/watches
- Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) will be provided: hard hat, safety glasses, high visibility vest, earplugs.
- No alcohol, drugs, or firearms on site
- No photos or video equipment on site
- Mill-Participants must be able to climb several flights of stairs and steep inclines, walk on metal grating, and be able to tolerate strong odors.
- Eagle Mine is not responsible for any parking violations received during the tour.